Friday, April 26, 2013

Lots of Activities


 
 
So within the last three weeks, I have started going to a yoga class with some of my coworkers who were already doing it.  I figured I needed an activity that was away from my computer and my idea of yoga was that it was relaxing, easy exercise.  I was very wrong.  The yoga class I joined is very intensive and the teacher will physically adjust your body into the right position.  It is constant movement and hurts quite a bit but it is definately good exercise.  The first few classes were brutal and I kept getting nautious (probably cause I never exercise and my body was suddenly moving a lot) but I am thinking about continuing it for another month.  It cost me only 33000 won (roughly $33) for two 1-hour classes a week on Tuesday and Thursday nights.  I definately come home sore and find that I am sleeping more.  But it is good for me to exercise, so lets see if I can keep at it.


 

The cherry blossom trees started to really bloom but sadly they are dying very quickly.  I made sure to take pictures before they were destroyed by the rainy season that is about to start.  I was really surprised to find that these trees practically bloomed over night.  I mean there were no flowers when I went home the frist day and when I came to school the next, they were half filled with flowers.  Talk about amazing.  It is really nice being able to walk to school or the store surrounded by cherry blossoms.


 

So, one of my favorite classes to teach is my sixth grade literature class.  Even though it is the class in which I probably have the most prep work to do, it is a lot of fun and the students seem to enjoy it a lot.  And since they like fantasy books, I can choose any fantasy book that I like for them to read.  For example, we are about to start reading Eragon in two weeks, and though it is a series, they can still read the first book without needing the remainder of the books to understand it.  Plus, it is one of my favorite fantasy series that I get to reread. 



 

We are continuing to do project themes in class and besides giving reports on Arctic animals, we finished up this Arctic animal theme with making polar bear hats.  It was a lot of fun for the kids and me, and I got some really cute pictures out of it.  Though I have to say, I'm surprised at how complicated a simple hat making project can be.  It was too bad that two of the students were absent and couldn't make the projects.  Other than the theme projects, classwork is going along as usually.  We are trying to learn a song for the song contest in a very short amount of time ... I'm not really sure how well that will go but hopefully the students can memorize the lyrics in time, even if they don't fully memorize the dance ... which I still need to figure out. *sigh* Dances and me are not a good combination.

 

Then we had a field trip with the students to a farm, where they could enjoy lots of flowers and stuff.  They had a lot of fun walking around and spending the day outside instead of sitting doing classwork all day.  I enjoyed the break as well though it does leave one physically tired, especially with no lunch break as we enjoyed lunch with the students.  They all had lots of snacks and kimbab and some fruit.  I had some egg salad sandwich and random snacks that were placed in my hands by the kids.  There was also a play area where the kids could experiment with different old style agricultural tools and a bug museum.  The bug museum was interesting because it had pictures made out of bugs.  Though it was also kind of creepy when you realized some of the bugs were cockroaches, not just butterflies.  The kids also had a lot of fun trying on my sunglasses.  On the way home, Michael ended up really interested in my phone.

Trying on Teacher's Glasses

Checking out Teacher's Phone

Picture Made out of Butterflies

No comments:

Post a Comment