Monday, October 15, 2012

Hiking With Kids, Sick, and Orchestra Concert

So, been busy lately.  First I want to briefly mention a little hike that I went on with the students.  It was to the Gwanggyo Mountains, which is only like a 10 minute bus ride away from the school.  The hike was pretty easy and the kids had a lot of fun.  There were little parks within the hike for them to play in as well, so they definately weren't bored.  Sally decided to start making a big pile out of pine needles and then a bunch of students, not just from my class, started pitching in and helping so it turned out pretty big.  In the end, they used it as a jumping pit, and kept moving its location.  I'm not sure I understand why they kept moving it, but it was a lot of fun.  As you can see, my class is full of characters, but it definately makes the day interesting.  Also, Sohee loves sitting in my lap, she does it all the time in Musical English.  It was quite hard getting them to focus in class after the field trip but it was a fun day.

From Left to Right:
Sally, Kate, Amy, Wendy, Jessica Teacher, Sohee, Serry, Anthony, Joseph, & Winstron

Winston



Top Row Left to Right:
Anthony, Winston, & Joseph
Bottom Row Left to Right:
Amy, Sohee, Jessica Teacher, Serry, Kate, Sally, & Wendy

Serry

Sohee

So the week after the hiking trip, I think it was the week after the hiking trip, but I could be wrong.  Anyway, a bit later I got pretty sick, unable to eat, lost my voice, high fevers, the whole nine yards.  I felt sick enough to go to the doctors, which if you know me, I try to avoid.  Thankfully, the doctor spoke English, and was really quick.  Not only was it quick, but it only cost me 30,000 won ($30) for the visit and medicine, and that is without insurance, which doesn't start until I get my alien registration card, which should be soon.  I think the doctor gave me about 5 different medications.  And Korea does not believe in sick days, and we really done have enough teachers to provide substitutes, so I got to teach in a whisper one day, as I had completely lost my voice.  Some of my older students made fun of me ... yes ... they actually laughed at me.  But my kindergarteners were adorable about it.  I explained to them that they had to be extra good and quiet so that they could hear me, so they all started speaking in a whisper too.  Needless to say, I couldn't hear them, and had to keep telling them to speak up, but it was so adorable.  You know, its the thought that counts, and they were whispering because all I could do was whisper.  I also had to get my bank account set up that week, and had to explain and give all my information in a whisper.  I lucked out again as the bank employee also spoke English.  Either way, I spent a good week feeling sick and teaching with no voice.  Was an interesting experience that I am definately glad to be done with.

After recovering, I spent a good weekend with Nathaniel and we went to Meena's (my kindergarten supervisor) String Ensemble concert.  I misread Meena's directions, and ended up originally going to the wrong place.  But we left early, so we had plenty of time to get to the concert.  As we exited the correct station, we ran into a group of kids who saw us and all decided to say "Hello" to us when they saw us.  It was really cute, so I said hello back.  So we continue to search for the correct building and more students decide to greet us, so I pull out my ticket and point to the address and they point us towards the correct door, as we were already at the correct building by that time.  Koreans are much more friendly than the Japanese.  The Japanese wouldn't randomly greet someone they didn't know on the street, especially a foriegner, whereas the Koreans obvious have.


The concert was really good, honestly the first adult orchestra concert I have gone to.  Saw another coworker there, Heather, as she too had gone with her husband.  Before, I have only gone to high school or college performances, so it was a nice change.  It was an excellent performance, and I especially liked the second half where they did musical pieces.  I recognized two from Phantom of the Opera, 'Music of the Night' and 'Think of Me.'  It was really interesting hearing the songs that I know in English sung in Korean.  And the Korean singers were excellent as well, especially the woman who was singing Christine's parts for Phantom of the Opera.  Her range and expressions were amazing! O.O  Seriously amazing.  I don't know if I have ever heard a singer so good, and I've been around some decent singers.  The first half of the concert was really good too, but it was classical musical, so very relaxing and made me sleepy.

Otherwise, I have mostly been getting ready for the big Halloween event that is coming up on the 26th.  It is a huge event that we do for the morning Kindergarteners and the teachers are required to dress up as well ... not that I am complaining about that.  I'm excited, as are my students.  We are singing 'The Addams Family Theme Song' for our song contest.  Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment