Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Suji Energy Plant Field Trip, Amy's Birthday Party, & Reading Champions

So, I forgot to mention during my first week of teaching we went on a field trip to the Suji Energy Plant, which is located right near my apartment.  Here the kids got to learn about energy and energy saving tips.  There were interactive games, and such for the kids to watch or help demonstrate.  There were also movies to watch and though I didn't understand a work of it since it was in Korean, it wasn't too bad.  Thankfully, having studied some of these topics before, I could guess what they were talking about.  The kids were amused when I had to demonstrate one of the bike machines, which my legs were too long for so was banging my knee.  But the students were happy because I was able to pedal fast enough to save the figurative world.  Yay! Go Energy Saving!  I found out later from a parent that their child had gone home that day and unplugged everything in an effort to save energy.  I was so proud.  Here are some pictures that I stole from Meena (I forgot my camera that day) from the field trip.



From Left To Right
Back Row: Winston & Wendy
Front Row: Sally, Anthony, Sohee, Jessica Teacher, Amy, Serry, & Kate


Also, on Tuesday, we had a birthday party for my student Amy.  The school throws a birthday party for the class of the birthday student and the birthday student's parents are invited to come as well.  I got to meet Amy's mom today who speaks English thankfully.  She seemed very nice.  All the kids were excited and we got almost no work done, but thats okay will have time to catch up later ... hopefully.  Anyway, Amy got to be a princess, and they even changed her clothes for the party.  It was really adorable and the school and Amy's mom provided treats for everyone, including myself which I found surprising but sweet.  So the students spent a good amount of time playing around and eating their treats.  They had noise makers, bubbles, stamps, stickers, cake and cookies, fruit ... etc.  They had a blast and it was fun watching them enjoy themselves as their workload has increased lately.  Some of the following pictures I took, and some I stole from Katie, one of the Korean teachers.



From Left to Right
Top Row: Jessica Teacher, Wendy, Sally, Sohee
Bottom Row: Serry, Anthony, Amy, Winston, Kate
 

 


 
Another thing that the school does is hold a competition for students to read lots of books.  The harder the books are, the more points you get, and the students with the most points won.  From my second grade class, my two girls each one a prize.  Michelle won the third or bronze prize, and Hana wond the second or silver prize.  For winning, they both got big stickers that can be traded in for toys and things from the school, and a small monetary prize.  The both read lots of books, and I was really proud of them.  I am especially proud of Michelle, who has continued to read books despite the fact that the competition is now over.
 
 
So, my morning kindergarten kids also had an art project using paper class.  My boys made snakes.  The girls made various things such as flowers, bird's nest, food, etc.  I tried to make a cat but since it was paper class, it didn't really stick together too well, so I ended up making this flower instead to show the kids.  They were allowed to make whatever they wanted, and they seemed to have fun, though some of us had issues with hair in our faces and  with our hands covered in white paper clay, we couldn't exactly get it out of our faces.
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment