Saturday, April 18, 2015

Lunar New Year, Birthdays, Graduation, Seoul Comic World, & More



 

As always I am slow to post blog entries and haven't posted anything since February.  Part of the reason is that I have spent many weekends either sick or cosplaying, but I apologize for the delay.  I hope you enjoy my blog as always and fair warning but the next few posts will probably be picture heavy as I have been cosplaying a lot.  This post will be about what I did in February.








So let's start with Seoul Comic World which occurred on Valentine's weekend.  February was still pretty cold so I chose to wear my Moka Akashiya cosplay from Rosario Vampire and Anna wore her Danielle costume from Ever After.  The SETEC center was a nice area to take pictures of Moka with all the dead plants though I never get many pictures when I cosplay as Moka sadly.  I am partial to the costume even though it doesn't look the best on me because it was my very first cosplay.  That day we got to play a ball catching game where you closed you eyes and grabbed a flying ball from a machine.  We each won an anime pin.  Otherwise, it was a normal convention.  We actually lost track of time and had to race back to the convention center where they were already tearing down the changing rooms. 


Photos By: Dongboy 水急





On Sunday, I finally got to wear my new Tohsaka Rin costume and Anna did her pirate costume.  Met some new photographers who took some interesting pictures though I realized I need to work on pointing my toe correctly as the images look a little weird.  Hehe ^.^  But it was still a fun costume.  This was also the first convention that I realized that the photographers not only recognized me but were also starting to remember my name.  Anna and I seem to be getting more known in the cosplaying community here in Seoul.  Nathaniel also came that day so it was good to see him and watch some of the shows.  I was really excited because one group did Uta no Prince Sama so I got to enjoy that and Love Live.

Photos By: Hasoo 하수









 
One of the photographers was really creative with the poses and I felt like I was in a studio instead of under a bridge.  Tohsaka Rin may not look the best on me, as black hair is not my color, but it is still a fun costume.  The wig itself is light but as soon as you add the pig tail clips, it gets really heavy.  Plus it was really hard to get the bows to sit above the pig tails and not on top of my head because of wear the pig tails have to be clipped.  But we did the best that we could and I got some fun photos out of it.

Photos By: Hasoo 하수









Anna has also started doing a lot of work on my costumes, sewing clips into wigs, touching up my sword and varnishing it, reinforcing the inside of the sheath so it doesn't scratch the sword, adjusting arm bands, etc.  I am very glad that she is around to help because I do not have the skills to fix any of these things.  I mean I don't even do my hair or makeup normally for cosplaying either so I am very grateful to Anna and Alexa for helping out.






We went out to dinner a lot this month because first it was Alexa's birthday, then my birthday, and we did an early dinner for Anna's birthday as she moved to Seoul.  Amber also treated me to lunch at Asia Asia (which was doing a remodeling or something the last time I tried to eat there) for my birthday before we checked out a cat café and watched Fifty Shades of Gray (I was curious how much it differed from the book).  This was the first time I had been back to a cat café since the time when three cats peed on my coat.... I have to admit I was a little nervous and made sure my coat was very far away from the cats.  Fifty Shades of Gray was ok, I was mostly surprised that they had it come out here in Korea.  The movie wasn't as bad as people said it was, but I will admit the lack of chemistry between the actors didn't help.  I have no idea if I will go see the sequel when it comes out.


 
 
February was also the time for Lunar New Year which is when all the kids come to school wearing hanbok, the Korean traditional wear.  I always love hanbok days because the kids look so cute and I get to take lots of pictures.  Plus they bow to us and say thanks and Happy New Year.  It's really cute.  I don't remember doing anything particular for the Lunar New Year holiday though it may have been when Amber and I hung out for my birthday as the holiday was a few days before.









Right after Lunar New Year was graduation where my kids did their speeches and sang Summer Nights from Greese.  Thankfully my kids didn't get nervous and they did a really good job.  We practiced a lot so I'm glad they were able to show their parents what they learned.  I got to keep them for first grade, so I still see them every week.  ^.^  But it was a really fun week and I got some lovely flowers and a tea set..... I think they are under the impression that I like tea when in reality I am only drinking tea because I get sick so much and my throat keeps hurting.  But hey, it's the thought that counts.




The last thing I did was go to a glasses shop with Alexa.  This was the first time I got my eyes checked in the 2.5 years that I had been in Korea and it seems my right eye improved a bit.  I ended up having to go to the kids section to find glasses frames that were small enough for me, and even then the lenses are bigger than the ones I normally wear.  But I really like the pair I got and shelled out a lot more than I would normally for a pair of glasses.  Sadly they had cost a bit more (like 150,000 won if I remember correctly) because they are bendable and have glass lenses.  But the store did the eye exam free and even cleaned my old pair of glasses when I picked up the new ones.  Service here in Korea is always better than service I have experience in America.  Hopefully I will get the next blog post up soon.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment